- Ready Time : 0 min
- 1 3/4 pounds peeled sweet potatoes, cut in large chunks
- 2 teaspoons butter or coconut oil, plus more for cooking
- 1 leek, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup oat flour or unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 egg, well whisked
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped lemongrass*
- pinch of salt and pepper
* I know it’s unlikely that most people just have lemongrass lying around, and while it adds a ton of flavor here, don’t bust your buns if it’s not easy to get a hold of. You could also substitute in chopped shallot.
Steam the potatoes until tender throughout. Set aside to cool.
While the potatoes cook, warm the butter or oil in a cast iron pan. Saute the leeks until softened, about 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, blend all of the yogurt sauce ingredients, besides the cilantro or basil, together in a mini blender or food processor. Lastly, add the herbs and give it one or two more whirls just to blend in the herbs. Set aside.
When the potatoes have released most of their moisture (steam), transfer them to a bowl and mix them with the tamari/soy sauce, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and flour to combine. You want the mix to be tacky not wet, add more flour if it seems too moist to hold shape. Add the leeks and egg and mix to combine.
Add enough coconut oil, butter or a mix of the two (which i prefer), to your nonstick/cast iron pan to generously coat the bottom, and warm over medium high heat. Dont be shy. Make small, two tablespoons patties and drop them into the hot pan, pressing down to flatten. Cook until well browned on each side, about 7-8 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary if they start to burn. Remove to a paper toweled lined plate to absorb excess fat while you cook another batch.
Serve with some lightly dressed greens and a generous portion of the sauce. These would be so wonderful with a poached egg on top or other protein of your choice.