- Ready Time : 0 min
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 medium Spanish onion, about 12 ounces, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half moons
- 3 medium Yukon gold or other floury potatoes, about 1 pound, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground pepper plus more to taste
- 1 12-inch-diameter round loaf rustic bread
- 1 clove
- 1 small head frisee, or other chicory lettuce
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
Return the skillet to heat, and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add potatoes, cover, and saute until soft, stirring, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with onions, and combine.
Whisk together eggs; add salt and pepper. Transfer to the bowl with onions and potatoes, and combine.
Return the skillet to heat, and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add egg mixture, and cook until edges set and start to brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Cover, and bake in the oven until set, about 10 minutes. Remove cover, and broil until top is golden.
Meanwhile, slice bread in half crosswise, and reserve the top half for another use. Remove some of the inside from bottom half, and discard crumb. Toast bread under the broiler until golden. Remove, brush with 3 tablespoons oil, and rub with garlic clove. Toss frisee with remaining tablespoon oil, vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Scatter greens over bread, and slide torta over greens. Cut in wedges, and serve.
Source: Martha Stewart