- Ready Time : 0 min
- 3 cups diced peeled turnips
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese or grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
Place the turnips, water and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt if desired until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in turnips.
Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cornflakes and cheese if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (prepared with margarine and skim milk and without salt and cheese) equals 128 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Source: Taste of Home