- Ready Time : 0 min
- 3 cups Whole Grain Bread, in 1’ Cubes
- 1/2 cup Roasted Red Peppers (make your own or use a jar)
- 2 Medium Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1/2 Medium Sized Red Onion
- 1 cup Garbanzo Beans, fresh or canned
- 1 cup Basil, Roughly Chopped
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
- 3 tablespoons Pesto
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
Oven to 400’
Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle with the tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and toss them around in the baking pan. Give a generous sploosh of salt and pepper and toast in the top rack of the oven for ten minutes. Toss them around half way through baking time.
Prepare your veggies. Give a rough chop to the roasted red peppers. Slice the tomato into cubes, leave them seeded. Slice the red onion as thin as possible either with your amazing knife skills or a mandolin.
In a large bowl, combine the bread, tomatoes (and some of their juices), red onion, red peppers, garbanzo beans, arugula, half of the basil and pine nuts.
Combine the pesto ingredients together with a small whisk. Drizzle desired amount onto the panzanella and toss. Serve immediately once tossed, soggy croutons aren’t so good.
Source: Sprouted Kitchen