- Ready Time : 0 min
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes about 3/4 pound
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for oiling baking sheet
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 scallion, thinlly sliced
- 8 1/2-inch slices of baguette, brushed with olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and halved
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet or roasting pan. Toss eggplant, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and a generous amount of black pepper together in a medium bowl until evenly coated. Spread on prepared baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes, moving pieces around occasional so they evenly brown. For a cold salad, let the eggplant cool a bit before mixing it with red wine vinegar, feta and scallion. For a warm salad where the feta glues itself to the eggplant a bit, toss the vinegar, feta and scallion together when the eggplant just comes out of the oven. You’ll want to eat the warm salad quickly.
Broil or toast baguette slices then rub them with a garlic clove before heaping on eggplant salad.
From Smitten Kitchen