- Ready Time : 0 min
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided, plus more for salting water
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon bunches of white and red radishes (3 pounds), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (or 1 15-ounce can) chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- freshly ground pepper
Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, barley and about half of the dressing. If the barley is still very hot, let the mixture sit until just warm, stirring occasionally. Squeeze the zucchini gently to get rid of any excess moisture and add to the bowl, along with the remaining dressing and the mint. Stir and transfer to a serving bowl. Crumble the feta over the top and serve.
• Warm beans absorb dressing better. The chickpeas can either be warmed in the microwave or in a small pan on the stove before being tossed with the dressing, but if you’re gripped by summer cooking laziness, feel free to skip this step; the salad will still be good.
• The salad can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated. Longer than that, and the texture of the zucchini becomes a bit soggy.