- Ready Time : 0 min
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock base (reduced sodium chicken broth base can be used also)
- reduced sodium chicken broth base can be used also)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup raw whole almonds, toasted in a dry pan over medium heat
- 1/2 head cauliflower, broken to small florets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 lemon for squeezing over the finished dish
Place the water and vegetable stock base in a deep heavy saucepan and place over medium-high heat.
Rinse and pick over the barley and add it to the pot of water, bring to a boil, stir once, lower the heat to a simmer and cook the barley gently covered partially with a titlted pan top – until almost all the liquid is absorbed and the barley has a soft ‘bite. This should take about 30 minutes or so.
While the barley simmers, toss the cauliflower florets with a bit of the olive oil , some black pepper and Kosher salt. Place them on a roasting pan and cover with foil. Roast in a hot oven (400° F) for 15 minutes. Remove the foil after the 15 minutes and turn to brown the florets all around. Roast them for another 15 minutes or so. Remove from the oven and set aside when the florets are browned and soft.
Chop the parsley and set it aside
Toast the almonds and chop them coarsely. Set them aside.
When the barley has absorbed almost all the liquid, add the cheese and stir to incorporate into a creamy coating for the barley.
Turn the barley into a warm dish, toss with the cauliflower, parsley, and nuts. Correct the salt and pepper seasoning. Drizzle on the olive oil and spritz with lemon juice.
Source: The Spice Garden