- Prep Time : 20 min
- Ready Time : 20 min
For the Slaw
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 1 small head savoy cabbage
- 1 medium medium watermelon radish or 1 bunch red radishes
- 2 poblano chiles
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, more to taste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Adapted from “The Working Cook,” by Tara Duggan (The San Francisco Chronicle, 2006)
Make slaw: Remove tough outer leaves of cabbage halves and core halves. Using a food processor, a mandoline or a knife, shred cabbage as finely as possible.
Peel watermelon radish and cut into matchsticks, then cut matchsticks in half. Alternatively, trim radishes and roughly chop. Stem chilies and deseed them, then chop in pieces smaller than a dime. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Set aside.
Make vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except oil. Let cilantro steep in mixture for a few minutes, then whisk in the oil in a steady stream to emulsify.
Taste and add more lime juice, salt or pepper if needed. Pour over slaw and blend well. Serve.
Source: The New York Times